Our sustainable strategy seeks to reduce our CO² emissions to a point where we become carbon neutral, and encourages all our staff, students, visitors and partners to contribute to this aim.
Green travel plan
The Sheffield College’s green travel policy covers all its campuses: Hillsborough College, Norton College, Peaks College and Sheffield City College.
- Staff, students and visitors are encouraged to walk, cycle, use public transport, reduce car journey and car share. Cyclists and motorcyclists have free parking at all sites. There is no student parking except for those eligible for disabled badges during the daytime.
- Before the college commits to developing new buildings it assesses a site using a public transport survey. Students can obtain individualized travel plans through the transport executive.
- The college is taking part in a cycle to work scheme that loans a bicycle and safety equipment as a tax free benefit for 12 months. Staff have the option to purchase the bicycle for a nominal amount afterwards.
- We pay cycle mileage for business use.
The college has, through its accommodation strategy, reduced the size of its estates to ensure we only use what we need. In doing this we have, over the last decade, reduced our CO² output by over 25%. That’s over 1250 tonnes of CO² less each year.
In redeveloping the estates we have replaced 75% of it with newer and more sustainable buildings.
The college has been increasing its waste segregation and recycling schemes. We now segregate at source and recycle direct to re-users some 47% of our waste. That’s about 120 tonnes a year. Our target is 60%. The remaining waste goes to a recovery unit for further recycling.
We are rolling out a single bin per room per waste type and removing individual bins per desk. We compost our food waste on two sites for re-use by the college.
- Sheffield City College won the Outstanding Contribution to Improving Air Quality category in the South Yorkshire Clean Air Campaign’s Care4Air Awards 2010.
- Sheffield City College were ‘Highly Commended’ for their environmental features and initiatives at the Sheffield Star Business Awards 2010.
- Shortlisted runner up – Yorkshire Post.
- Shortlisted Green Gown.
Strategy For Sustainable Development