The Sheffield College
  • 0114 260 2600
The Sheffield College
> Courses / Furniture Making Dip L2
304%x304
  • How much will this cost? U
Furniture Making Dip L2
Qualification:
C&G 5780-20 Dip in Furniture Making 
Starts:
14/09/2016 
Ends:
29/06/2017 
Weeks:
35 
Days:
Wed,Thr 
Study Mode
Part-Time 
Assessment:
Practical Assessment 
Level:
Area:
Design & Visual Arts 
Course Code:
CDFWW1A 
 
Entry Requirements
4 GCSEs - Grade D or above
 
 

Furniture Making L2

If you are interested in starting a career in furniture and design then this course is for you. You'll learn about making furniture by hand and machine, create technical drawings and spend time creating a variety of furniture items.


About the Course

If you are interested in starting a career in furniture and design then this course is for you. City and Guilds Diploma in Furniture Making (Level 2)


You will learn about making furniture by hand and machine as well as the design processes in furniture making. You will be producing technical drawings and learning about workshop geometry. You will develop skills in timber technology in furniture making and knowledge about sustainability in the timber trade.


Health and safety within furniture and furnishing making environments will play an important part in the course. Part of the course will involve planning for career pathways in furniture and furnishing industries and recognising professional responsibilities in this area.


80% of your time is spent in the workshops where you will improve your hand skills making a variety of furniture items which include hardwood construction. The remaining 20% is spent covering theory topics where you will learn the principles of furniture making, finishing and other related topics.


Key Units

  • Design processes in furniture making
  • Attaching doors, drawers and fittings in furniture making
  • Furniture making by hand
  • Health and safety within furniture and furnishing making environments
  • Timber technology in furniture making
  • Planning for career pathways in furniture and furnishing industries
  • Professional responsibilities in furniture and furnishing making environments
  • Sustainability in the timber trade
  • Technical drawings and workshop geometry



Entry Requirements

4 GCSEs - Grade D or above


Assessment

Practical Assessment and Coursework


Future Opportunities

  • Cabinet/Furniture Maker
  • Furniture Restorer
  • Furniture Installer/Fitted furniture
  • Furniture Manufacturing Technician


Or Level 3 Diploma in Furniture Design and Making


This qualification is supported by ‘The Worshipful Company of Furniture Makers’"


Tell Me More

The course is taught by Anna Childs. Anna has been teaching for 20 years and has an MA in Industrial Design. She also runs her own furniture business in Sheffield.