The Sheffield College
  • 0114 260 2600
The Sheffield College
> Courses / Painting & Decorating Level 3 Diploma
Painting & Decorating Level 3 Diploma
Study Mode
Full Time 
Practical Assessment and Exams 
Construction & Building Services 
Course Code:
Entry Requirements
Level 2 Diploma in Painting and Decorating and a minimum of Level 1 Functional Skills.

Painting & Decorating Level 3 Diploma

At the end of this level 3 qualification you will be considered fully qualified as a Painter/Decorator, at an advanced level.

About the Course

Throughout this course you will continue to develop the basic painting and decorating skills you have acquired in Levels 1 and 2. Approximately 40% of the course is theoretical, delivered in a classroom setting to allow you the opportunity to take notes which will aid you in your development throughout the course. The remaining 60% of the course is practical and will see you develop your advanced level skills in our custom built decorating stations at City campus. 

Functional Skills lessons will also form an important part of your course, if you do not already hold the required GCSE/Functional Skills levels. They include English and Maths to help improve your skills in these areas. Your progress will be reviewed regularly in tutorial sessions.

You are expected to study independently in their own time, building up their knowledge. You will be given your own password to access our online learning materials and we have a comprehensive learning centre to aid your learning.

Key Units

Key Areas of Study

  • How to carry out safe working practices in construction
  • Erecting and dismantling access equipment and working platforms 
  • How to apply waterborne paint systems using high volume low pressure (HVLP) spray equipment 
  • Applying paint systems by brush and roller
  • Preparing for and painting flush doors and hanging wallpaper 
  • Preparing for and decorating a room including doors and balustrades 
  • Producing specialist decorative finishes
There are 12 units in total to complete which includes an external test at the end of the course.

Entry Requirements

Level 2 Diploma in Painting and Decorating and a minimum of Level 1 Functional Skills.


Knowledge/Theory Assessment
  • Online exam
  • Unit tests

Practical Assessment
  • Practical tests
  • Practical exam

Where does this Lead

Career opportunities include working in the construction industry or as a domestic Painter/Decorator. 

Tell Me More

Will this course suit me?
Applicants should have willingness and a desire to study on a painting & decorating course, be able to take in technical information and demonstrate practical ability in a workshop setting.

Extra Costs

You will need to bring your own overalls for practical sessions and classroom equipment for theory sessions. All other equipment will be provided.