The Sheffield College
  • 0114 260 2600
The Sheffield College
> Courses / Science (A) GCSE
304%x304
  • How much will this cost? U
Qualification:
4405 GCSE Science A 
Starts:
14/09/2016 
Ends:
14/06/2017 
Weeks:
30 
Days:
Wed 
Type:
Evening Course 
Study Mode
Part-Time 
Assessment:
Exams and Coursework 
Level:
Area:
Science, Dental & Pharmacy 
Course Code:
HEGSC1A 
 
Entry Requirements
There are no formal entry requirements to do the GCSE but recent study of English and mathematics is favourable.  This is an intense course and students must be prepared to consolidate study in their own time.
 
 

Science (A) GCSE

GCSE Science at Hillsborough Campus provides students with varied teaching strategies where students rotate between tutors to receive specialist tuition.


About the Course

The course runs over one academic year from September until June and students attend one evening per week. Candidates can opt to do the foundation or the higher tier assessments. Coursework accounts for 25% of the final mark and the remaining 75% is achieved by the sitting of either two or three exams: students choose which route (two or three exams) they prefer.


Key Units

Students will study biology, chemistry, physics and Earth science as well as undertaking practical work to support learning. The fundamentals of each subject will be covered to include cellular structure, the nervous system, disease and immunity, atomic structure, hydrocarbons, energy in society and the home, light and waves, and the origin of the universe (the Big Bang!).



Entry Requirements

There are no formal entry requirements to do the GCSE but recent study of English and mathematics is favourable.  This is an intense course and students must be prepared to consolidate study in their own time.


Assessment

Exams and Coursework


Future Opportunities

The GCSE Science provides students with the core content required at level two and is aimed at people looking to enter teaching, the health service, progress on to level three study or those wishing to enhance their GCSE portfolio in general with a valued and recognised qualification.