• 0114 260 2600
The Sheffield College

Sheffield College Launches Polling Booths So Students Register To Vote

Updated: 19/05/2017

The Sheffield College is encouraging students to register to vote in the general election by setting up polling booths at its campuses.

Sheffield College Launches Polling Booths So Students Register To Vote

Pictured: Sheffield College students register to vote at makeshift polling booths that have been set up at the four main campuses.

The polling booths are being placed at the College’s City, Hillsborough, Olive Grove and Peaks campuses until May 22nd, the deadline for registering to vote.

Inside the booths, students can complete paper registration forms that will enable them to vote next month. Or they can register online. The initiative is being jointly spearheaded by the College and its Students’ Union.

Heather Smith, Principal, The Sheffield College, said: “There has been a very positive response to the launch of the polling booths. We want to ensure that our students are aware of their rights and the democratic process, and have their say by registering to vote.”

Amy Smith, President, Sheffield College Students’ Union, added: “This is a great way to attract attention and raise awareness of the importance of voting. Students need to register if they want their voices to be heard.”

Young people are less likely to be registered than other age groups. Electoral Commission research suggests 67% of 18 to 24-year-olds are registered to vote, leaving a third (33%) unregistered. This compares to 5% of over 55s who are not on the electoral roll.

Students aged 16 and 17 are able to register now but will only be able to vote once they turn 18. The general election takes place on June 8th. To register to vote online, visit www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.

David Hughes, Chief Executive, Association of Colleges, said: “We cannot underestimate the importance of young people registering and turning out to vote. The decisions made by the next government will be relevant to all young people and we urge them to ensure they are able to make their voice heard on election day.”

Approximately, 6,000 students aged 16 to 18 are studying at the College. Follow us on Twitter @sheffcol #TSCDemocracy #readytovote. To find out more about full-time courses starting in September 2017, click here or call 0114 2602600.