Skip to main content

Travelling to us

At The Sheffield College, we know that travel to and from your place of learning is an important part of your college experience. All of our four campuses are well served by public transport, and there are loads of options for students, from discounted single fares to weekly passes, so that you can get the best deal on public transport.

Travelling to us

Student tickets

Many bus companies offer a generic student ticket - please see specific operators for further details. 

You can also purchase multi-use tickets for both bus, tram and train travel within South Yorkshire, which often work out cheaper than buying tickets individually. 

16-18 Travel Pass

Whether you study full-time, part-time, or even if you're working, if you're aged between 16 and 18 and live in the South Yorkshire Region then you can apply for a 16-18 Travel Pass. The 16-18 Travel Pass covers you on services across South Yorkshire, and is valid even during the summer holidays, so you can use it to get to college, and to visit your mates in the summer!

What discounts can I get?

With a 16-18 Travel Pass you can get:

  • A concessionary single fare (currently 80p!) on buses and trams
  • Half-price rail fares on Northern trains
  • Value for money operator tickets within South Yorkshire

What services can I use it on?

All buses and trams within South Yorkshire, plus Northern trains.

When can I apply for a travel pass?

If you were born between 1st September 2003 and 31st August 2004 you can apply for your pass from 1st May 2020 (your pass will expire on 31st July 2022).

If you were born between 1st September 2004 and 31st August 2005 you can apply for your pass from 1st May 2021 (your pass will expire on 31st July 2023). 

For more information about the 16-18 Travel Pass please visit the Travel South Yorkshire website.


If you have a valid MegaTravel Pass or 16-18 Travel Pass you can enjoy unlimited travel on any bus, and all trams, anywhere in South Yorkshire for 1, 7 or 28 days, no matter which company operates it. Even better, the GetAbout+ entitles you to all the same travel benefits as above, but with the added bonus of train travel as well.

For further details please visit the TravelMaster website

Useful links

Use these links to find more information, plan your journey or apply for a travel pass:

Travel South Yorkshire (journey planning and travel passes)

TravelMaster (tickets for bus, tram and train travel in South Yorkshire)

First (timetables, journey planning and ticket information for First buses)

Stagecoach (timetables, journey planning and ticket information for Stagecoach buses and trams)

Getting to and from college

Although travelling to college might be a little further than you're used to for school, it's still relatively easy because all of our four main campuses are on major bus or tram routes. 

The easiest way to figure out how to get to college is to follow these simple steps

  1. Visit the Travel South Yorkshire website
  2. Using the Journey Planner, type your postcode into the first box
  3. Type the postcode of the campus you're travelling to in the second box 
  4. Enter the time that you need to be at college for (make sure you leave yourself enough time to get into the building and find your classroom!)
  5. Hit "Plan your journey" - all of the available public transport routes to college will be displayed and you can pick the one that works best for you

To get home just switch the postcodes round and select the time that you finish classes. 

16-25 Railcard

If you're planning on going anywhere by train in the near future, a 16-25 railcard is virtually essential! Not only does the railcard entitle you to 1/3 off a huge variety of train tickets, but you can also get additional discounts and benefits from other companies such as Gourmet society and YHA (Youth Hostels Association).

How much does it cost?

Only £30 a year (or just £70 for a three-year railcard!) - you'll probably make this back in savings within three or four trips.

Who's eligible?

If you're aged between 16 and 25 you can apply for a railcard whether you are a student or not (you can even get one up until the day before your 25th birthday!).

If you're a full-time student (studying 20+ hours per week) you can still get a railcard even if you're over 25 - you'll just need to fill out the mature student declaration when you apply.

How do I get one?

Visit the 16-25 Railcard website for more information and to purchase a railcard online.