Skip to main content

Student Support Fund 16-19

There are a number of funds and support schemes available for students aged 16-19, including:

  • Vulnerable Young Person Bursary Fund
  • Discretionary Support Fund
  • Care to Learn
  • College Meal Credits and Vouchers
Student Support Fund 16-19

Applying for financial support

Use these links to apply for financial support during your studies at The Sheffield College -  you can either apply online or download a paper application form if you prefer. 


In order to apply for the funds listed below students should be over 16, but under the age of 19 on 31st August 2024.

However, there are some exemptions to this rule, for example;

  • If you are over 19, but are continuing into the second year of a two-year course
  • If you are aged 19-24 and have an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP)

Other eligibility criteria applies to each fund - please see below for details. If you have any questions, or require any support with making an application please contact our Admissions and Student Funding Team:


T: 0114 260 2600


What can I get support with? How much could I get? Who's eligible?
  • Travel to and from college
  • Essential equipment such as books, uniform, kits etc.
  • Meals on the days when you are in college
  • Course trips/visits
Up to £1,200 per academic year.
  • Young People in Care
  • Care Leavers
  • Students in receipt of Income Support
  • Students in receipt of Employment Support Allowance (ESA) who are also receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

Full details regarding eligibility can be found here


16-19 Discretionary Support Fund

What can I get support with? How much could I get? Who's eligible?

If your household income is under £35,000

  • Travel to and from college
  • Essential equipment e.g. uniform, kits, resources such as books or materials
Dependant on individual circumstances

This fund is available to students who are:

  • Living in a household where the overall Household Income is up to £35,000
  • Dependants of someone on Income Support, Income Based JSA or Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit or claiming the Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
  • Able to demonstrate that they are facing financial hardship


16-19 Care to Learn Fund

What can I get support with? How much could I get? Who's eligible?
Financial support towards childcare costs for your child. Up to £160 per child, per week.

Students should meet the following criteria:

  • Is the main carer for the child they are claiming for
  • Be claiming Child Benefit for the child/children in question
  • The other parent is unable to provide childcare (e.g. they are in education/working/absent)
  • The other parent is not claiming childcare through Tax Credits
  • Be under the age of 20 at the start of their course

Full details of eligibility for the Care to Learn fund can be found here.


Free College Meals

What can I get support with? How much could I get? Who's eligible?
The Sheffield College can support eligible students aged 16-18 with free college meals. For each day you are scheduled to attend college you'll get an allowance added to your student ID card, which you can then spend as you wish in the college’s various canteens, diners and food outlets by swiping your card at the till. Dependant on individual circumstances

Students must be aged 16-18 on 31st August 2024 (students who turn 19 during their studies will remain eligible until the end of that academic year or the end of their study programme, whichever is sooner)

Students, or their parents/guardians, must be in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

  • Income Support, Income based JSA or Income related Employment Support Allowance
  • Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190 - this is assessed by HMRC)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after someone stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent of £7,400 p/a

Please note, students aged 19-24 who have in place an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan) are also entitled to a Free College Meal while attending their provision (if they meet the eligibility criteria).

Please use the main Student Support Fund form to apply for Free College Meals.